- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon dried active baking yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 280g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons kalonji (black onion seed)
Prep:25min › Cook:20min › Extra time:1hr30min › Ready in:2hr15min
- Whisk the water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee and all the yogurt. Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece out into 20cm round naans.
- Cover a baking tray with foil and grease the foil. Brush the naan with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji seeds. Cook naan one at a time under a very hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.