Basic Sweet Dough
Makes: 4 loaves
- 235 ml milk
- 1000 g sifted all-purpose flour
- 295 ml cold water
- 34 g compressed fresh yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 100 g white sugar
- 50 g shortening
- 2 eggs
- 25 g melted shortening
Prep:25min › Cook:25min › Extra time:2hr proofing › Ready in:2hr50min
- Scald milk in a medium saucepan. Add cold water to scalded milk. Remove 1/4 cup liquid; mix yeast into liquid when cooled to lukewarm. To liquid in saucepan, add salt, sugar, shortening, and eggs. Add dissolved yeast to saucepan. Mix well.
- Sift and measure the flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the flour, and pour the liquid into the well. Stir with a large wooden spoon until liquid disappears.
- With one hand, mix dough in bowl using swinging rotary motion. Gradually form dough into smooth ball, then knead in bowl for 2 minutes. Brush top with melted shortening. Cover, and allow dough to rise at room temperature for 2 hours. Do not set bowl on radiator or in hot place. Keep away from draughts. Allow dough to rise until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough. Use dough for any sweet bread recipe.