Bu loy kai wan (Sweet poached eggs and rice balls with coconut cream)
- For the rice balls
- 120g glutinous/ sticky rice flour
- water as needed
- For the eggs
- 4 fresh farm eggs
- 200g sugar
- 500ml water
- 250ml coconut cream
Prep:20min › Cook:10min › Ready in:30min
- Mix the glutinous rice flour with enough water to make a thick paste. Roll the dough out into snake and cut into 1 cm lengths. Roll the pieces into balls.
- Heat a medium pot of water to a boil. Drop the rice balls into the water and remove when the balls float. Place the balls into a bowl of ice water. When the balls are cool, remove from the ice water and reserve.
- Combine the sugar and 500ml water together and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium high. Crack the eggs, one a time into the syrup and poach until the white is cooked but leave the yolk slightly runny. Remove the egg and place in an individual bowl. Continue to cook the remaining eggs in this manner.
- Heat the coconut cream over very low heat, do not boil.
- To serve, divide the rice balls equally into each of the 4 bowls containing the eggs and pour in some of the syrup that the eggs were cooked in. Put a small dollop of coconut cream on each egg and serve.