Bu loy phuok (Poached taro and glutinous rice balls in coconut milk)
- For the taro rice balls
- 200g taro root, peeled, steamed and mashed
- 180g glutinous rice flour
- 250ml water
- For the sauce
- 875ml coconut milk
- 150g sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 125ml coconut cream
Prep:20min › Cook:20min › Ready in:40min
- Mix the glutinous rice flour, mashed taro root and water together until the a dough is formed. Roll the dough out into snake and cut into 1 cm lengths. Roll the pieces into balls.
- Heat a medium pot of water to a boil. Drop the rice balls into the water and remove with a slotted spoon when the balls float. Place the balls into a bowl of ice water. When the balls are cool, remove from the ice water and reserve.
- For the sauce, combine the coconut milk, sugar and salt in pot and heat slowly. Stir constantly. Add the taro rice balls and bring to a simmer. Add the coconut cream and heat through, do not boil, and remove from the heat.
- Spoon the balls and coconut sauce into bowls and serve.