- 1, 8g packet (3 teaspoons) instant yeast
- 1 cup (250ml) warm water (45 C)
- 2/3 cup (140ml) canola oil
- 2/3 cup (140ml) honey
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) water
Prep:30min › Cook:40min › Ready in:1hr10min
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the oil, honey, eggs, salt and 4 cups of flour into the yeast mixture Beat well.
- Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a floured surface divide into 4 pieces and braid.
- Place the loaf on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 C.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg white and water. Beat lightly. Brush the risen loaf with the egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.