Chicken and vegetable pasta bake
- 250 g penne pasta
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 375 g minced chicken
- 2 × 400 g tins chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 3 cups frozen, sliced green beans, about 300 g, thawed and drained
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets, about 300 g, thawed, drained and chopped
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over a moderate heat, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 4–5 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Stir the tomato mixture into the pasta and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the beans, broccoli and sour cream to the pasta mixture and stir everything together well.
- Spread the mixture in a large, deep baking dish, measuring about 23 × 33 cm. Sprinkle the parmesan over the top.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes until golden and slightly crispy on top. Serve hot.