Classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1 tin (425g) crushed pineapple
- 60g butter, melted
- 250g (1½ cups) brown sugar
- 410g (3¼ cups) plain flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 250g butter,softened
- 315g (1½ cups) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla essence
Prep:20min › Cook:40min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 20-23cmx30cm baking pan.
- Drain crushed pineapple and reserve juice. Combine melted butter, brown sugar, pineapple and 2 tablespoons pineapple juice together in a bowl.
- Spread onto the base of the greased baking pan.
- Add enough water to remaining pineapple juice to make 300ml (1¼ cups) of liquid. Set aside.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
- Cream butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla essence. Beat for further minute.
- Add flour mixture alternately with reserved pineapple liquid, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour cake mixture into baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.