- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 (180ml) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) rum
- 3 1/2 cups (430g) plain flour
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup (60g) icing sugar
Prep:30min › Cook:20min › Extra time:20min resting › Ready in:1hr10min
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat together salt, sugar, and eggs until very fluffy. Stir in evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and rum. Gradually mix in flour; knead well with dough hook until dough begins to blister, about 10 minutes. (If dough is still sticking to bowl after 5 minutes, mix in 2 tablespoons of additional flour, 1/2 tablespoon at a time.) Remove dough, and cover with plastic wrap; set aside 20 minutes.
- Pour oil into a deep fryer or Dutch oven to a depth of 5cm, and heat over medium heat to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Separate dough into small portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough portions until very thin. Cut into long, narrow strips (about 15cmx2.5cm). With a sharp knife, make a slit in the center of each strip, and draw one end through the slit.
- Fry in hot oil until puffy, blistered, and very light golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to paper towels to cool. Sprinkle with icing sugar. Store in an airtight container.