French Vanilla Slices (Mille-feuilles)
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 60g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 whole vanilla bean or 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 185g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- icing sugar for dusting
Prep:30min › Cook:20min › Ready in:50min
- In a small saucepan, heat milk until small bubbles form. Drop in the vanilla pod (or add essence) remove saucepan from heat, and set aside to cool until just warm.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the flour, sugar, salt, and egg yolks. Beat for a moment, then gradually whisk in warm milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until the custard thickens, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking.
- Transfer custard to a bowl, and allow to cool, stirring from time to time.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Roll out the puff pastry into a single sheet about 1 cm thick; it should be the same size as a 43x53cm baking tray. Place the pastry onto the baking tray and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven until cooked,about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool pastry on the baking tray.
- When the pastry has cooled completely, transfer it to a hard surface and cut lengthwise into three 10 to 12 cm wide strips.
- Spread one strip thickly with custard. Place a second strip directly over the first; spread the top evenly with jam. Cover with the third strip, and dust with icing sugar. With a very sharp knife, cut into 8 rectangular portions.