Grandmother Stougaard's Caramel Pecan Sweet Rolls
- 120 ml milk
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 55 g margarine
- 30 ml warm water (110 degrees F)
- 7 g active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 310 g all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 25 g margarine, softened
- 50 g white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 40 g margarine
- 165 g packed brown sugar
- 60 g pecan halves
Prep:30min › Cook:30min › Extra time:2hr rising › Ready in:3hr
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan, and set over medium heat. Heat just until a skin starts to form on the top, then remove from the stove, and stir in salt and 1/4 cup margarine. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Place 1/8 cup of warm water in a small bowl. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the surface, and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cooled milk mixture and the yeast for 2 minutes using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add egg, and mix well. Use a large wooden spoon to stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition until the mixture forms a dough. Knead on a floured surface, adding more flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, and turn once to coat the top. Cover, and let rise until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough, and let rest on the counter while you prepare the caramel topping. In a medium bowl, mix together the corn syrup, 1 1/2 tablespoons of water, 3 tablespoons of margarine and brown sugar until smooth. Spread an even layer onto the bottom of a 9x9 inch baking dish. Place pecan halves upside down in rows over the sugar mixture. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a 9x12 inch rectangle Spread with 2 tablespoons of margarine. Mix together 1/4 cup of sugar with the cinnamon; sprinkle over the margarine. Roll the dough up starting at the long end to form a log. Pinch the seam together to seal. Cut the roll into 1 inch rounds. Place the rounds into the prepared baking dish. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake rolls for 20 to 25 minutes in the oven, until golden brown. Invert baking pan onto a cutting board or a clean cookie sheet while still warm so the caramel topping is on top.