Italian braised beef with mushrooms
- 15 g dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 800 g lean beef blade
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 celery stalks, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine or beef stock
- 1½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Prep:45min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:2hr15min
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Soak the mushrooms in 1 cup of boiling water in a small bowl for 15 minutes, or until rehydrated and softened. Drain, reserve the liquid and coarsely chop the mushrooms (discarding any tough stalks).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a moderate heat, add the beef and brown it all over. Add the carrots and celery to the dish.
- Combine the mushrooms and their soaking liquid, the tomatoes, wine or stock, tomato paste, garlic, sugar and oregano in a jug, then pour into the casserole dish. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then bring to the boil over a moderate heat.
- Cover the casserole with a lid and put it in the oven to bake for 1½ hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then lift out the meat and carve into slices. Serve with the vegetables and sauce.