- 300 gms small prawns, peeled and deveined. Save shells for stock.
- 1 lemongrass bulb, bruised
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 125 ml water
- 1 kg chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1.5 litres coconut milk
- 100 gms dry roasted peanuts, ground
- 30 gms roasted sesame seeds, ground
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Oil for cooking
- 500 gms beehoon or yellow noodles, blanched in hot water before serving
- Spice Paste
- 15 shallots, peeled
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 cm galangal, peeled
- 15 dried chillies, deseeded and soaked in water
- 4 candlenuts
- 3 lemongrass bulbs, chopped
- 2 cm toasted belacan
- For the garnish
- 1 whole cucumber, peeled, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
- 2 fresh red chillies, sliced
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 8 calamansi limes, halved
- Dried Prawn Sambal (see recipe)
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Extra time:15min › Ready in:1hr
- First make the prawn stock by cooking the prawn shells with chopped onion, lemongrass and water slowly until boiling. Strain the liquid and reserve.
- Put all the spice paste ingredients into a food processer and blend until fine. Heat a little oil in a pot and fry the spice paste until fragrant. Add the chicken pieces and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Pour in the prawn stock, chopped cilantro and coconut milk. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the ground peanuts, sesame seeds, lime juice and season with salt and sugar. Stir well and add in the prawns. Continue cooking over low heat until the prawns are done and serve hot with the noodles. Garnish each bowl with some cucumber, chopped spring onions, cut chill, calamansi and some sambal.