Overnight Cinnamon Rolls I
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 90g butter
- 1, 8g (3 teaspoons) packet dried yeast
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) vanilla essence
- 1, 1/4 cups sifted icing sugar
- 1,1/2 tablespoons (23ml) light cream
Prep:1hr20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hr50min
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Add the butter and stir until melted; let cool until lukewarm.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the milk mixture. Add the sugar, 3 cups of flour, salt and eggs; stir well to combine.
- Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 25cmx 35cm rectangle.
- Lightly brush the far edge with water. In a small bowl combine the cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle over the rectangles. Then sprinkle the raisins and chopped nuts over the dough.
- Roll up the dough into a log and seal the seam.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces; place the pieces in a greased 23cmx30cm baking pan, or 30cm deep dish pizza pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to rise overnight.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 190 C. Take the rolls out of the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake the rolls in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Meanwhile, combine the corn syrup with the vanilla in a small bowl. Whisk in the sugar and enough cream to make a thick glaze. Set aside. Drizzle the glaze over the rolls and serve warm.