Pan de Sal II
- 475 ml (2 cups) milk
- 150 g (3/4 cup) white sugar
- 115 g (1/2 cup) butter
- 7 g (1-0.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 9 g (1 1/2 tsp) salt
- 2 g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- 2 g (1/2 tsp) baking powder
- 750 g (6 cups) all-purpose flour
- 15 g (2 tbsp) dry bread crumbs for topping
Prep:2hr › Cook:20min › Ready in:2hr20min
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles; remove from heat. Add the butter and sugar; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
- Pour the cooled milk mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the yeast and stir to dissolve. Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder and 4 cups of the flour; stir well to combine. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and form into rounds. Place the rolls on 2 lightly greased baking sheets. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.