Potjuk (Red beans Porridge)
- 1 cup small red (pat or azuki) beans
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 15 cups (5.75 litres) water
- 1 table spoon pine nuts (garnish)
Prep:30min › Cook:2hr10min › Extra time:1day soaking › Ready in:1day3hr40min
- Wash the rice in cold water and let it soak overnight.
- Wash the red beans 2-3 times in cold water, cook with 3 cups (750ml) water for 20 minutes over medium heat. Drain the water. Put the red beans in a pressure cooker, add 3 cups (750ml) water and cook for 30 minutes on medium heat and open the lid. Add an additional 7 cups (1.75 litres) of water and cook for 20 minutes, then the red beans will very soft and will fall apart and be easy to puree. Put a small amount on a colander (it is better to use a fine colander) and mash with a spoon. The skin of the red beans will remain on the colander and discard the skins. Repeat this step 3-4 times until the beans are gone.
- Wash the rice in cold water one more time and drain the water. Put the rice into the pureed red beans, simmer for about 40 minutes. Stir constantly so the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn off the heat let it sit for 30 minutes. Add 2 cups (500ml) of water and cook for 20 minutes over the medium heat. Place in a large bowl and garnish with the pine nuts.