Simple chicken stock
- 1 chicken carcass or the bones from 4 chicken pieces (or fresh chicken wings, browned first)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- 8 cups (2 litres) water
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr10min
- Break up the chicken carcass or bones and put into a large saucepan or stockpot. Add the vegetables, bay leaf and peppercorns. Pour over the water.
- Bring to the boil over a high heat, then turn the heat down so the liquid is simmering gently. Cover the pan and leave to bubble for 1 hour.
- Strain the stock through a sieve into a bowl, discarding the bones and vegetables. Skim any fat from the surface with a spoon, if using the stock straightaway. Alternatively, chill the stock first, which will make it easier to remove the fat.