Skirt steak with balsamic sauce
- 80ml orange juice or port
- 60ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 700 g lean skirt steak, trimmed
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons margarine
Prep:10min › Cook:15min › Extra time:2hr › Ready in:2hr25min
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice (or port), vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, garlic and pepper. Place steak in a shallow glass dish, pour on orange juice mixture and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours, turning several times.
- Remove steak from marinade and pour marinade into a small saucepan. Add shallot and set aside. Brush a chargrill pan or heavy frying pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add steak to the pan and, depending on thickness, cook for 6 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until it reaches the desired doneness. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes, covered with foil.
- Meanwhile, bring the marinade to the boil over medium-high heat and cook until reduced to 80ml, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the margarine and whisk until it has melted.
- Slice the steak thinly across the grain. Add any accumulated juices on the cutting board to the sauce and serve the sauce with the steak. Serve with a salad and crusty bread.