Spiced Apple Cake
- 125g butter
- 90g sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 apples, granny smiths best but I use any apple
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 1 tablespoon sugar, brown if you have it
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease an 18cm cake tin and line with baking paper. Peel and slice the apples and cook with the cloves and barely a tablespoon of water for 5mins. In a small bowl, mix together the sultanas, sugar and spices and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium size pot then add the sugar and stir for a minute, then remove the pot from the hotplate and stir in the flour. Mix in the egg.
- Wet your fingers and spread about half the mixture across the bottom of the tin. Spread the apples over this and then top with the sultana mixture. Pour the lemon juice over, then drop the remaining cake mixture in spoonfuls across the top. There wont be a lot of mixture.
- Cook for 30 minutes and check if done- you may need another 5 or so minutes.