- 1 sachet (7g) dried yeast
- 175ml warm milk (45 C)
- 1 large egg
- 90g caster sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 90g unsalted butter, softened
- 375g bread flour or plain flour
- 60g currants
- 60g sultanas
- 60g red glace cherries, quartered
- 185g diced mixed citrus peel
- 220g marzipan
- 1 heaped teaspoon icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- toasted slivered almonds for sprinkling on top
Prep:2hr › Cook:40min › Ready in:2hr40min
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the egg, caster sugar, salt, butter and 3/4 of the flour; beat well. Add the remaining flour, a little at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- When the dough has begun to pull together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead in the currants, sultanas, dried cherries and mixed peel. Continue kneading until smooth, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Lightly grease a baking tray. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the marzipan into a rope and place it in the centre of the dough. Fold the dough over to cover it; pinch the seams together to seal.
- Place the loaf, seam side down, on the prepared baking tray. Cover with a clean, damp tea-towel and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 150 degrees C and bake for a further 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow loaf to cool on a wire cooling rack. Dust the cooled loaf with icing sugar, sprinkle with cinnamon and finish with the toasted slivered almonds.