Tamatar Murghi (Indian Tomato Chicken)
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 slice ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 large skinless chicken thighs
- 1, 400g can crushed tomatoes
Prep:15min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr15min
- Place onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and blend into a paste. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onion paste and fry, stirring continuously, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and nutmeg. Fry, stirring, further 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place chicken pieces in frying pan and stir to coat with the spice mixture until they are well coated.
- Fry for another 4 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 to 2 hours, or until the oil has separated from the liquid. Stir occasionally. (Note: If you simmer uncovered, the sauce will thicken; add water, or keep covered while simmering.) Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaves before serving.