Tom yam kai pla (Sour and spicy fish roe soup)
- 200 g fish roe
- 1.5 litres chicken or fish stock
- 1 finger galangal, peeled and sliced into disks
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 3 cm lengths
- 5 Thai chillies, crushed
- 3 blades culantro (pak chi farang)
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2-3 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- In a pot, add the stock and bring to a simmer. Add the galangal, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the fish roe and simmer until just cooked. Add the chillies, culantro, shallot and tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Season the soup with the fish sauce, lime juice and tamarind juice.
- Just before serving, adjust the seasoning, it may need more stock, lime juice or fish sauce.