Tom yam pla (Spicy sour fish soup)
- 1.5 litres chicken or fish stock
- 4 whole roasted shallots
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 3 cm lengths
- 300g fish, scaled, gutted and cut into steaks
- 4 crispy fried dried red chillies
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 blades culantro (pak chi farang)
- 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2-3 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- In a pot, add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the roasted shallots, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the fish steaks and simmer until just cooked. Add the chillies, shallot and culantro. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Season the soup with the fish sauce, lime juice and tamarind juice. Just before serving, adjust the seasoning, it may need more stock, lime juice or fish sauce.