Vegetarian Red Lentil Curry with Spinach
- 190g red lentils
- 4 tablespoons tomato purée
- 120g (1/2 cup) low fat-natural yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 120g fresh spinach, washed, dried and coarsely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 400g can mixed beans, rinsed and drained
Prep:10min › Cook:35min › Extra time:1day20hr15min › Ready in:1day21hr
- Rinse lentils and place in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- In a bowl, mix together tomato purée and yoghurt. Add garam masala, turmeric, cumin and chilli powder. Stir until creamy.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic and ginger and cook until onion begins to brown. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted. Gradually stir in yoghurt mixture, then mix in tomatoes and coriander.
- Stir in lentils and mixed beans until well combined and heat through, about 5 minutes.